Saturday, May 19, 2001

Mother's Day. (May 2001)


This is the first time I've make the exact same cake twice. It was interesting, because Brian's cake ended up serving as a practice cake for the mother's day cake. One change I made was that I put a little corn syrup in the white and in the yellow icing, which made it a little more forgiving when I made the ribbon. Also, the little balls that form the border are slightly smaller on the mother's day cake (I used a #7 tip this time), and I actually liked the look of it a little better for that reason. Oh, and I finally got the right shade of yellow. I used Egg Yellow instead of Lemon Yellow food coloring.

That's mom with her cake in her kitchen in the last photo.

Problems: Well, somehow the flaps from the cakebox chopped off part of the bottom border of the cake when I closed the box, so I'll have to be more careful next time. Also, the cake seemed slightly lopsided. It looked level to me before I started icing it, but I never did actually slice the top off the cake to make it perfectly level, so I'll have to do that next time, too, no matter how level it looks. I used the right amount of batter this time, so I didn't have the problem with the cake rising too high and taking too long to cook.