Thursday, March 15, 2001

The Clown Cake (March 2001)


An important thing to understand about this one is that it was a practice cake. I was practicing several techniques on this cake, which is why it has kind of a motley look to it. I decorated it at Fantes, and then had to bring it back on the bus. By the time I got it home, the clowns had slumped down quite a bit from all the bumping around on the bus until they looked drunk. You can see in the 3rd photo below that the cake itself collapsed a bit, too, but it still tasted good. I painted food coloing directly into the pastry bag to make the multi-colored outfits. The heads are just store-bought plastic clown heads, nothing special.

Laurie and Aella made a clown cake much more interesting (in a morbid and disturbing way) than mine. They fashioned a make-shift knife, dipped it into blood-red food coloring, and plunged it into the clown as though he'd been brutally stabbed. (possibly by the 2nd clown.) There was also a pool of red food coloring next to him. They said they'd send photos when they get them back, so I'll share them with you when I get them.

Problems: Not much to say here. Like I said, this was really just a practice cake. My only real problems were the settling the cake did on the bus ride home.